Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Berlin... at last!


And where do I begin...? First of all, I love it here, not sure I want to leave ever even though the nights are getting colder and colder and I am having trouble getting a job. I live in a big building that used to be a squat, and is now legalized, in what used to be East Berlin in Friedrickshain. The building has 4 floors and is a huge womens collective house called X-B Liebig, with a bar on the first floor which is open some days of the weeks. I am living on the 4th floor, which is known as the queer/international floor and there are girls from Norway, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and the US, and all of whom are extremely smart and talented artists and craftspeople. There are many realities to living here... the people you meet and the relationships built, the day to day activities and making of pasta and such in the kitchen, wondering the streets and looking at all the beautiful buildings and spaces, being around so many mixed languages and stories, the personal thoughts and ideas that come from traveling and questions one has about self, life, purpose, goals, direction, time and so forth. I long to stay here and yet worry about everday survival and also long for traveling more and at the same time am creating stability for myself here. I am tired and restless, longing for certainty and looking for adventure.

I will write more later... more on love and bikes and maps and big euro cities...

xo, elliat

No comments: